Name – NUTAN
Date of Birth – 4th June of 1936
By Profession – Actress
Religion – Hinduism
Education & Career
She did her schooling from St. Joseph’s Convent School, Panchgani (Maharastra). When her movies were not performing as per their expectation, her mother asked her to move to Switzerland. There she joined finishing school La Chatelaine.
Acted in more than 7o Hindi movies, she was the well-liked face of the industry. Known for her fantastic acting skills, she was capable to express everything with her eyes and face. She had a deep interest in dance and music. She was a good Kathak dancer and also gave several public performances.
She made her debut with K Asif’s movie “Hamari Beti” (1950) at the age of 13. At that time, she was in school. But the movie was not at all successful. In the mid-50s when her movies were not doing good, she went to Switzerland for further studies. After returning to India, she was offered ‘Seema’ movie (1955) by producer S Mukherjee. She received appreciation for her role in the movie. With this, her career started reaching new heights of success.
Awards And Honours:
This 5’6′ tall lady was extremely beautiful. With black color eyes and black color hairs, she carried winsome personality. Body measurements are like this: 32-28-34.
on 21st Feb 1991, Nutan took her last breadth in Mumbai. She was suffering from breast cancer. She was 54 years old at that time. Her movies Naseebwala and Insaniyat were released in the year 1992 and 1994 respectively after her death.
Unknown Facts About Nutan:
- When she was only 3 years old, she started learning classical singing.
- People used to call Nutan as skinny and ugly during her early age. Later, she became the famed personality of the industry.
- Even her mother didn’t expect Nutan’s bright future as an actress.
- Her sister Tanuja also acted in the movie ‘Hamari Beti’ (debut movie as a child artist). The movie was directed by her mother.
- Along with audience, even Lata Mangeshkar was impressed by her role in movie ‘Seema’ as Amiya Chakraborty and her casting in the song “Man Mohana Bade Jhooth“.
- The actress never looked behind after her superhit movie ‘Seema’. Some other popular movies are ‘Heer’, ‘Baarish’, ‘Paying Guest’, ‘Kanhaiya’, ‘Yaadgar’, ‘Kasturi’, ‘Karma’ etc.
- Everyone was shocked to see the actress in a swimsuit in the movie ‘Dilli Ka Thug’ (1958).
- When she was at top of her career heights, she decided to marry Rajnish Bhal in 1959. Same was the case of her niece Kajol. She got married to Ajay Devgan soon after giving series of hit movies.
- She won 3 Filmfare Awards for Best Actress (out of 4) after her son’s birth.
- Director Bimal Roy was like Godfather to her as he offered a role in hit movie ‘Bandini’ (1963).
- Nutan and Dev Anand shared the screen in the movie ‘Tere Ghar k Samne’. He also praised her skills.
- Even after completing 40 years of age, she was able to play different iconic characters.
- Luckily, this super mom was able to see her son getting established in the industry with the movie ‘Maine Pyar Kiya’; before she got died.
- Nutan’s relation with her mom ended when she filed a case against her mom for misusing her earnings.
- She was an idol for Bollywood actress Smita Patil and Sadhana Shivdasani.
- Indian govt. released a postal stamp in honor of this top artist in Feb 2011.
- Rediff.com listed her name as ‘third greatest actress of all-time’.
- On her 81st birthday in 2018, search engine ‘Google’ celebrated it with an adorable doodle.
- This most sought-after actress of Indian cinema had experience of working with actors like Sunil Dutt, Dev Anand, Raj Kapoor, Amitabh Bachaan etc.
- Husband Rajnish directed her in the movie ‘Surat Aur Seerat’ in 1962.
- Once actor Sanjeev Kumar allegedly said that she was in love with her. She slapped him in public and got involved in a controversy.
- She mostly played motherly roles in her movies.
- She was fond of hunting.
- In the year 2004, her husband died of a fire accident in his apartment.
- To give time to her family and for happy married life, she took the break from movies for some time. She returned back with ‘Bandini’. She knew very well how to maintain personal and professional life.
- She was crowned with ‘Miss India’ title in the year 1951.
- Amitabh Bachchan, Balraj Sahni, and Raj Kapor are her favorite actors.