A native of Argentina, this young guy is one of the best player ever. His style, his attitude, his ability to overcome an opponent’s defensive redoubts; everything is amazing. All these things differentiate him from other players. Also, it’s the blessings and support of millions of people that today he is a known name in the world of sports.
The birth date of this professional footballer is 24 June 1987. Lionel Andrés Messi Cuccittini was born to Jorge Messi and Celia Cuccittin in Rosario (Argentina).
Messi himself, his parents, two brothers, and one sister is there in his family. His dad worked as a steel factory manager and in free time, he used to give training to the football team. His mum worked in a magnet manufacturing workshop. From his father’s side, this player is of Italian and Spanish descent whereas, from his mommy’s side, he has Italian ancestry. Matias Messi and Rodrigo Messi are his elder brothers and Maria Sol Messi is her only sister.
Friends, it was Lionel’s grandmom who recognized his talent at a small age. When the boy was just 5, the lady thought of his joining to “Grandoli” club. Also, he made efforts to convince the family to support and motivate this future player. She was assured that one day his grandson will become a star player. It’s because God has given him the unique talent of playing that other children lack.
Celia’s prediction about the boy seriously came true and rest is the history. Messi still remembers the support of his loving grandmom.
Messi moved to Spain in 2009. There he started playing in the youth team of Catalan “Barcelona”. Talking about his first match, he made poker, scoring 4 goals. During the next 30 games, he, however, succeeded to score 37 goals. Not only the owners of the Spanish team but also the coach of the Italian club “Juventus” were surprised by his way of playing. The management of “Old Lady” (FC “Juventus“) even offered to “lend” the guy for 1 season. But the boy wore a T-shirt from FC Barcelona.
Following year, the talented Messi scored his first goal at gates of Albacete in the main Spanish championship. Soon, he became the youngest player in the history of Catalan club. Surprisingly, his age was almost 18 years at that time. In 2007, striker Bojan Krkic broke this record of Messi.
With his incredible output on the ground, day by day, his career in Barcelona got better and better. Almost every year, he got numerous personal awards and prestigious titles. He always worked to improvise his performance and that we all can clearly see. The period from 2010-2012, we can say, was the golden period in Messi’s career. During this time, he got the title of ‘World’s Second Player’ by receiving 4 Golden Balls. His achievements were truly commendable that the directors even had a wish to make a film on the player. In 2014, a film telling his life story was shot in Spain.
In 2014, a four-year contract was signed b/w Messi and Barcelona. As per the deal, he will earn 20 million euros a year (exclusive of taxes).
In Argentina Football National Team, his performance was not as per the expectation. Also, he failed to clinch any title. Earlier, he was asked to play for the Spanish team, but he denied the invitation. Till the year 2005, he played for the team of Argentina. As part of this team, he played at ‘Summer Olympic Games’ (2008). The event was scheduled in China. Messi won the tournament and became ‘Olympic Champion’.
In the event of World Championship (2010), where Germans defeated Argentineans, he was on the verge of grabbing the most important trophy in the history of Football.
- In the year 2013, this leading star of Argentina was accused of tax evading.
- In the year 2016, he was found to be involved in Panama Papers Data Leak.
Coming to his love life, Macarena Lemos was the first official girlfriend of this footballer. At that time, Messi was 19 years old. Both became friends through the girl’s father. However, their relation existed for a small time. The macho man spent most of his time playing his favorite sport ‘football’. As a result of this, the girl’s parents started thinking that he is not a perfect match for their daughter. And she deserves better than him.
In 2006, he came close to the model and “Playboy” star Luciana Salazar. After this, they started dating each other. But here, once again, Messi’s relationship ended. It was also a short term relation. Next, there was news of his relations with Antonella Roccuzzo. And finally on June 30, 2017, Messi and Antonella turned their love into marriage. His wife is a cousin of his fellow soccer player Lucas Scaglia.
Argentina’s Clarín newspaper referred to their marriage as “Wedding of the Century,”. The couple chooses the luxury hotel of Rosario for their special day. A number of fellow soccer players and Colombian pop star ‘Shakira’ were invited to this grand function. On 2nd November 2012, the couple was blessed with a baby boy. They give him the name Thiago Messi. Again, in September 2015, their second son ‘Mateo Messi’ was born. Ciro Messi, their third son was born in 2018.
Well, Messi has a height of 5 feet, 7 inches. He carries a winsome personality with a weight of 72 kg. His body measurements are like this: Chest- 40 inches, Waist- 32 inches, Biceps- 12 inches. Black color eyes and black color hairs complete his looks.
What Does He like The Most?
- Playing video games, listening songs gives him pleasure.
- He is a big tattoo lover.
- He admires Pablo Aimar for his playing.
- Red is his all-time favorite color.
- Baby’s Day Out is Messi’s favorite movie.
- The book that he loves to read is ‘EL Martin Fierro’ written by Jorge Luis Borges.
- He loves eating Salad, Escalope Milanese.
Undisclosed Facts About Him:
- Messi has a big collection of expensive and luxurious cars. He owns Ferrari F430 Spider, Audi R8 GT, Mini Cooper S Cabriolet, Range Rover Velar, Toyota Prius, Audi R8, etc.
- As per records of 2018, his salary is $80 million.
- He takes alcohol.
- La Pulga is his nickname.
- He was very attached to his grandmom and she is still in his memories. Looking up and pointing towards the sky (at the time of celebration of goals) is the way to give tribute to the departed soul.
- At the age of 12, he was diagnosed with a strange disease resulting in a deficiency of growth hormone. To beat this, the family spent a lot of money on hormone injections.
- He has a passport of both the countries i.e Spain and Argentina. Although he had lived for a long time in Spain, still he refused the offer to play with ‘National team of Spain’.
- Barcelona’s coach named Carles Rexach was shocked seeing Messi playing on the ground. Without wasting a single moment, he signed up the player. It’s interesting that the contract was written on tissue paper.
- His international debut was against Hungary for a short 47 seconds. After that, he got a Red card.
- Intelligent and smart Messi is a left-footed player.
- Although, Lionel was good at studies, what gave him actual pleasure was nothing other than football.
- He is known to be the world’s best dribbler.
- Throughout his career, he has always been compared to Diego Maradona.
- He doesn’t sing Argentina’s national anthem.
- Forbes magazine listed him as “World’s Second Highest Paid Athlete” (first being Cristiano Ronaldo) in the year 2015-2016.
- In order to collect funds for 2011 Tsunami victims, a gold replica of his left-foot went on sale. It happened in March 2013.
- A documentary titled “Messi” based on his life was premiered at the ‘Venice Film Festival’ (August 2014). It was created by filmmaker Alex De La Iglesia.
- To encourage and offer help to children in the field of Sports, Education and Health, he developed his own charitable organization with the name “Leo Messi Foundation”.
- In March 2010, the player was appointed as UNICEF’s Goodwill Ambassador.
- He took retirement from International football on 26th of June 2016. The reason being that he missed a penalty in final shootout in Copa America Final. As a result of this, Argentina lost to his competitor ‘Chile’.
- However, later he changed his mood regarding retirement and led his country to qualify for ‘FIFA World Cup’ (2018).
- After seeing his talent of playing (nearly at the age of 16), even an established footballer Ronaldo said that he would become a better player.